Saturday, July 5, 2008

My 20th Birthday? That's a rap.

I had my birthday party tonight. I'm 20 now. No more teenage years for me, no sir.

The party was pretty frikkin' great. We all chilled at my grandparents' pad: it is a bitchin' joint. And yes, Huda, pad is a real word.

And the freestyling!

Seemingly out of the blue, Simmons suggested that I have a rap battle with Alex, and we both agreed. On the coin toss, he hit his tails, and chose to go first.

Now, my man Gillespie is pro at freestyling. He practices at home a lot. I did not know this when I agreed to duel him. I quickly found out.

Alex spat an astonishingly fluid piece. He just kept a flow going through line after line. I was in awe by the end of it, but no way was I gonna fold. I pulled myself together and scrapped together some couplets. They didn't run like Gillespie's - not even close - and my verse was much shorter than his. Ultimately though, I pulled through, and slammed him on the fact that he's Colombian and has rich parents who buy him nice clothes ^_^

I went toe to toe with Simmons straight after, and he put together some damn nice lines that hit right on the mark. I managed to stay on top though, with both the crowd and Gillespie (adjudicating) calling the battle for me. It's a good thing his hatred for short people is so legendary.

So, I now have an amateur freestyling record of 2-0. If only I'd fought like this at AMAC . . .

No comments: